Saturday 8 March 2008

Hebrides Countdown....


This shot was taken on the Tuesday of our trip last year - we were heading home after a day exloring Eriskay and South uist, and had just turned into the Locheport road leading back to the cottage when, up on the hill ahead of us, we saw a herd of deer. We managed to find somewhere to pull in and sat in the car and watched and waited but they never really got close enough to us to photograph so we drove on. Lo and behold just a mile down the road there was another herd, this time right next to the road! Again we pulled in and I grabbed the only camera to hand - my old D30 which mercifully had the Sigma 70-300mm f4-5.6 lens on board already......I was desperately wishing at this stage that when we'd left our previous stop on South Uist I hadn't decided to put my camera kit into the boot, as I could definately have done with the advantages that my own 70-200mm f2.8 would have given me - notably IS (Image stabilisation) considering by the time that this shot was taken I was hand holding at 1/30th with only the car window-frame for support! It certainly taught me a valuable lesson about leaving the gear accessible!
Robyn

No comments: