Thursday, 6 August 2026

Hebrides Countdown...

 

Eriskay

Some readers may already know that I have recently bought a new camera. It has taken me into a situation where for the first time I have two camera bodies both of the "mirrorless" type, meaning that if one fails, particularly in an airshow setting, I have far more "security" in being able to just continue shooting, and came out of the fact that my previous 1st body - my Canon R7 - suffered an unexpected and way before expected timescale catastrophic shutter failure at a Shuttleworth show earlier in the year. That is now sorted out, but it did hasten my plans to get a second Mirrorless body - and NOT another R7 as this shutter issue seems to be an ongoing problem with that model! Instead I have opted for a Canon R6Mk3 - bang up to date and my first ever full-frame digital body, to boot! It has also cost me more money than i ever imagined I might pay for a camera! 

This has prompted me to think about trying to be a bit more active with taking photos using the main cameras in my everyday life rather than mainly at airshows - I've been tending as most folk have I suspect to simply use the phone camera as my "regular" device on a day to day basis - the iPhone 14 Pro camera is so good it's quite tough to think of a reason not to, but weather permitting, my intention on our upcoming Hebrides trip is to make more use of the big camera than I have done in recent years - indeed, I'd like to set aside some time most days for what I am thinking of as "intentionally taking photos". 

I think the above shot must have been taken with the long lens on board from the hill at the bottom end of South Uist looking across towards the island of Eriskay - I believe it may be called Easabhal. By coincidence I was also thinking it might be nice to head up there while we are across this year - so who knows, perhaps I will recreate this shot? 

Robyn

No comments: