Tuesday 9 June 2020

Day 78...



A “bitty” sort of day, today. For a start, the weather got itself all in a twist again - in contrast to yesterday’s grey, cold cloudiness, this morning dawned bright and sunny, and I left my coat at home when we walked first thing and was plenty warm enough. Apparently tomorrow will be another day of grey and raininess, but that is just what is forecast so let’s see, shall we?!

I needed a particular item from a larger supermarket than we have in town so popped out in the car to get that this morning - just 20 minutes away, and in spite of a queue outside the store when I arrived I was home in only a little over an hour. I was surprised while I was there to note that M&S were open not just for food, but seemingly for clothing as well.

On the subject of shops, non essential stores in England are allowed to reopen from Monday. It feels quite strange to be thinking of being able to go out and buy things other than food and garden or DIY type items now. I would guess that places like shopping centres will be ludicrously busy for the first week or so while people get used to the novelty of it again. I will be in little hurry to go and join the fray I think - one of the things about having lived so frugally for such a long while while we were paying off the mortgage is that we are quite good at managing on what we have, and right now, we have “enough” of everything that we need I think generally speaking. The exception to this, from my point of view, is that I quite desperately need new glasses - my distance vision is crystal clear so thankfully driving is fine, but my near vision is a struggle now - I either need new glasses or longer arms! The optician told me last time I had a new prescription that next time round I would need either reading glasses or varifocals, and I think the time has probably now come. I can manage for the time being though - the thought of being at close quarters in an optician’s consulting room really doesn’t appeal much at the moment!

The news from the government briefing today was that pubs will not be allowed to reopen for at least another month. Although unsurprising, this is a blow to the industry, and I think there has to be some doubt whether even a months time is going to prove over-optimistic. Goodness knows when we will be allowed to hold beer festivals again, or indeed when it will be practical to do so. At the moment there is no news on when larger gatherings are likely to be acceptable again even. Another “wait and see” I suspect.

Robyn

No comments: