Friday 17 April 2020

Day 25…



I’ve been struggling with motivation to run these last few weeks - in spite of having the incentive of the RAF Museum’s latest virtual running challenge - The Hurricane 80km - to spur me on, I’ve just not been feeling the love. Part of the issue has been enjoying my daily walk with MrEH - while he’s up for running once a week, and maybe twice at a push - more than that is a bit much to ask, so we’ve settled into a routine of running maybe once a week, with the other days being a decent walk exploring the local area. The last week though I’ve begun to have a hint of the mojo returning, but was just at a loss to know what final factor might welcome it back fully.

This morning I offered him the option of either a walk or a run - my only proviso being that I wanted to go along the river. We had time whichever he chose as neither of us were working today - but to my delight he opted (with a few grumbles!) for the run option, and so off we went. First the lovely mile long sweep down to the bottom of town, before a climb back up part way into Old Harlow with it’s gorgeous old buildings. Then down again - a brief stretch on the main road before turning down onto the tow path just after the 2 mile point. From there the next two and a bit miles are blissful - birds-a-plenty, peace, quiet, and at that time of the morning you have it almost to yourself - we saw just one other chap who we co-ordinated with carefully to ensure we could pass him (he was walking) while we still maintained social distancing. On my own I would have continued a little further, but at the moment that would have been too far for MrEH so when we reached the well known local landmark of the “ZigZag Bridge” ai stopped my watch tracking and we walked the final mile and a half back home.

I love this route - pre lockdown I ran it most Fridays when I was at home and free to do so - and I hadn’t realised how much I had missed this fantastic local haven of peace and tranquility in my routine. And you know what? Somewhere along the way, I might just have found that running mojo again!

Robyn

No comments: