Wednesday 2 October 2013

Looking back.....January

Last year I did a "Look back over my year" post at New year, and had awful problems working out which photos to include! As it rather seems as though we've done even MORE this year, I thought I'd break it down to one month per post, and pic out some of my favourite shots for whatever reason, over the year...(August's going to be fun!)

Starting at the beginning (well where else?) January saw a couple of trip round London with the camera in tow. I went for a good look at the Battle of Britain Memorial...


This is another work by the sculptor Paul Day - who is also responsible for the fabulous "Meeting Place" sculpture at St Pancras Station.

I also managed to grab a couple of days working up in the City of London - and used my lunchbreaks to good effect wandering along the Embankment...finding both fish...


...and fowl...


The final weekend of the month saw us heading up to Manchester for the National Winter Ales Festival. Bizarrely this was my first visit to Manchester so as well as spending the day at the festival on the Saturday we made some time to explore...


Very proud of it's velodrome is Manchester - there are bicycles everywhere!


A fab fountain in the city centre...


...and the most amazing and varied architecture. You hear a lot of negative stuff about Manchester, but I liked it - the people were friendly, the public transport seemed to work well (in spite of some truly awful weather on the Saturday in particular) and parts of the city are fantastic to look around. We'll be back!

Robyn.

2 comments:

Scarlet said...

Fabulous photographs Robyn. I always return from Manchester with a very sore neck as I spend most of the time looking up at the fabulous architecture. My daughters love the place. KL is now living very close to the city centre, and K lives about 15 minutes from Manchester, having spent her years at uni in the same area KL is in now. The fountain is fabulous, and never fails to make me smile when I pass it.

Robyn said...

I was astonished - you just hear so many folk sneering about the place, and it was SO much nicer than I anticipated!