Sunday, 13 September 2026

A rubbish walk…

 

Big rocks on bins - needed out here!

A quirky tradition for our final morning here is that unless it is actually blowing a gale, or sideways-raining, one of my final tasks before we head away is that I gather up the accumulated rubbish from around the cottage and take it up the track to the bins. This time round I thought I was going to be scuppered on this one, as when we woke up yesterday morning it was indeed bowing a gale and sideways-raining, but handily a hour or so before departure I popped my wellies on, grabbed the bag and went for a wander.


The track is a third of a mile up to the road, not a long walk by any stretch, but one I really enjoy, particularly once the bag is dropped off and I can enjoy the walk back without it. That last approach to the cottage on foot for this trip, always plenty of birds to be seen - this time I surprised a Snipe as well as the usual Meadow Pipits, Gulls  and Starlings. The new house being built part way up the field changes the view a little, but then you see the first glimpse of the cottage chimneys as you go uphill towards the highest point…


See - just to the left of the track?


Over the crest of the hill and there is Kettle Cottage - Hoglan Bay down to the left, and the headland stretching off behind. Blue skies just starting to peek through too, promising better weather to come!


The cows never quite get used to seeing us coming and going on foot - and always give us a good curious stare! In the spring the Croft surrounding the cottage itself usually has sheep on it - they take a few days to get used to us but then also get remarkably curious, particularly the lambs which are clearly intrigued by these humans who talk to them! 


The final turn, and nearly back. Just a little under 15 minutes door to door, allowing for time to take these pictures and stop and look at things. Time to finish packing the car then set off back along that track in the car this time, with Kettle disappearing in the rear view mirror. 

Robyn

No comments: