Saturday 13 June 2020

Day 82... A lockdown Saturday...

Ok - this will rely on me remembering to update though the day...yeah yeah, I know, likelihood slim, huh? Let’s see though. I thought it might be fun to post through the day today - we have no particular plans aside from our zoom meet with the gang this afternoon, so how the day will pan out I have no idea. It won’t be an hourly thing, just as I feel like posting something to update the day.

Aside from the zoom we have rarely had any plans for our Saturdays throughout lockdown - that in itself is very different to “real life” - usually there would be rugby matches or training for MrEH, in the summer I might be at an airshow, otherwise there are beer festival meetings or other trips away with friends...Saturdays are rarely a no-plans day. One thing that isn’t that uncommon, in the summer at least though, is that they might start like this...


...on a warm sunny day here is no better way to start my day!


And possibly NO better breakfast to start the day either! My sourdough starter is still producing the goods once a week - the aesthetics of the loaves aren’t great as I have been proving them in my big mixing bowl, lined with a tea towel, meaning a wider, flatter loaf than is ideal, but I have just ordered a proving basket which, when it arrives, will hopefully give a more rounded result. Either way, sourdough toast with butter, marmite, peanut butter...yum!


Planning. I’ve not been using my journal much of late - with no real “diary” to consider, it hasn’t seemed worth it somehow. I have had a long list of “things we’d like to do” online, and I have been ticking things off that - and adding more to it - as time has unfolded, but the last week I have really felt as though I have been drifting rather, and that has now reached the point of feeling uncomfortable, so time to give my coming week some more structure, I think.


Lunch! Yum!



Our weekly Zoom meet with friends has become a key part of our week. This is the gang we often holiday with on Lundy and elsewhere - normally at least a few of us get together somewhere along the line every couple of months. Our virtual get together at the moment fits to very much the same pattern as meetings in real life might - we have a few beers, chat about all sorts, the banter is relentless but ultimately we all also look out for one another and make sure we’re ok. We talk about anything and everything - pretty much nothing is off limits, and as someone said earlier “we’re one big family” - worries and triumphs are shared equally. one of the things I am most looking forward to once normality begins to return is getting together with these guys again!



Saturdays generally finish with cheese & crackers in front of the TV, plus a piece of whatever baking has been done - this week it’s not “baking” as such as we have gone for Rocky Road - made delightfully budget friendly using Aldi ingredients! As well as the traditional chocolate, golden syrup, biscuit, marshmallow and butter, mine also contains some chopped dried apricots and hazelnuts to add a couple of different textures - and it tastes delicious!

So there you go - that was our Saturday. Not wildly exciting, but a routine in the “new normal” nonetheless, and right now at least a little routine to underpin our week seems quite important.

Robyn





No comments: